Friday 26 October 2012

Who wants to jump off a cliff?

I've got a bit of a confession to make. For some of you it's not new, but for others this might be the first time hearing it. Now, before you do an intervention for me and call the serious men in long white coats hear me out. For the past six years I've found myself delving deeper and deeper into a world where crazy becomes the new normal, and what was previously considered insane is today's standard. Now various friends around me have been acting as enablers (Ignacio, this might be you, just possibly) and have been pulling me deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole. The past three years I have started into the hardcore stuff. The stuff that leaves you beaten and battered afterwards. Yes, for the past three years I've become hooked on ultra-distance racing.

                             Ultra-Crazy, not ultra-distance although they may seem identical.

It started with buying a road bike, and like pot to meth within no time at all I found myself toeing the line at the Lake Placid Ironman practicing incredible self warming procedures in my wetsuit. (Don't ask) It wasn't enough though, I needed more, more distance, more suffering, more crazy. After the Ironman came the Canadian Death Race, which was a whole other level of bonkers. If you haven't flirted with hypothermia in the rain up a mountain while wearing short shorts you haven't lived.

Now stop calling the shrink, put down the phone and listen to my proposition. I want you to join me. Jump off the cliff of normal. Go crazy, it's okay. Do the characters in the movies you see or in the books you read do boring normal stuff? Hell no! They do stuff that has their neighbours convinced that they are nuts. Now, you don't have to follow me and jump down the extreme endurance rabbit hole. Find some think that you think would be cool, but kinda scares the buhjeezus out of you. When you find something that both attracts and terrifies you, go for it!! Commit yourself fully to the adventure.

"Until one is committed there is always hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, There is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising to one's favor all manner of unforeseen accidents and meetings and material assistance Which no man could have dreamed would come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
                                                                                                                         -Goethe


Now, what you may find after attempting or finishing this crazy adventure is a sense of new self. You become more than the person you were before you started your journey. The great thing is that even if you fail you'll have grown through the setbacks. You may just find that you can grow wings when you jump off the cliff. Or your family and friends will have done an intervention and you now have a fancy white coat and a personal bouncy room with rubber walls. Either way the ride is gonna be sweet.

           I neither confirm nor deny acting like this.        

No comments:

Post a Comment