Wednesday 25 May 2011

A New Season Begins this weekend

My first race is this weekend. Saturday to be exact at 6am. And I'm kinda injured. My hip flexor is really tight on my left hand side, and is preventing proper extension and making things rather painful when running. I've got some stretching to do, and have seen my chiro, so I'm hoping for a REALLY quick bounce back to normality. Either way this weekend promises to be an adventure. The race: the Sulfur Springs 50 miler.

My brother is going to be coming down to help with my race, and then I'll be watching him race this sunday in the St Lawrence Bike Crit. This weekend is going to be epic. One of my personal goals with my running is to try to get others involved with running, cycling, triathlons, whatever. I'm super lucky in that several of my siblings have picked up on the endurance sport bug (it's contagious).  Even though most of us now live in different cities, it's always a blast to get out and celebrate and support each others exploits. It has to be one of the most fulfilling things in life to help a family member or friend achieve a goal or dream of theirs.

Now, as I leave you to whip up some dinner, here's a poem that has been resonating in me for the past few weeks:


Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Anyone guess the title?

1 comment:

  1. Good luck...hope you don't injury yourself with the flexor not being right
    d

    ReplyDelete